If you are looking for excellent volunteer opportunities in Portland Oregon, well, we have compiled exhaustively great opportunities to involve yourself. All you must do is read through and choose what best fits your skills, interests, schedule, and charity desires. We have also included kids-friendly volunteer activities if you want to volunteer together with your family or to nurture your kids to adapt to the art of giving.
The main aim of this organization is to improve nutrition, health, self-reliance through home-scale organic food gardening. Their key objective is to enhance the quality of life and environment for people and communities in Portland, Oregon. They work with volunteers to build home gardens, school gardens, and organization gardens. They have garden clubs for the next generation of growers and also offer workshops to educate gardeners. So, if you are interested in food security, this is the best place to volunteer.
If your interests are in social movements, then this is the most significant opportunity for you. It is a community solution for social injustice that advocates for social change through talents to give a voice of reason. This society has the following exciting programs.
- Power hour – it is an international space for black, brown, and indigenous people whose sole purpose is to help the community heal from the impacts of racism.
- Blackstreet bakery is an economic-driven program committed to honoring North and Northeast Portland as a historic home for black Portlanders.
- Equity and beyond – is a multi-week, interactive learning experience that uses a cohort approach to combat social injustice. They help participants challenge themselves and develop their power as justice organizers through public education, interdisciplinary events, and collective strategy.
- Black resilience, mutual aid – it is a black-led movement to respond to community needs.
Other volunteering opportunities include:
- Reach out and Read Oregon
- Blanchet House Of Hospitality
- Sun at Kelly Elementary
- Rigler Sun School
- Latino Network
Volunteering opportunities for kids
Volunteering with kids may seem daunting, but Portland has a place for you and your kids to get involved. These volunteering opportunities include:
- Children’s Book Bank – (age 6+): help spruce up donated books distributed to low-income preschool children in Portland.
- Northwest Children’s Outreach – donates clothing, books, toys, and others. Volunteers help in distributing donated items.
- The Pongo Fund (all ages) – a full-time charity for fighting hunger. You and the kids will help repair bulk bins of donated dry food distributed to needy families with hungry pets.
- Make treats for dogs – (all ages): make baked food for 5000 dogs served by the Oregon Humane Society every year.
- Create Toys for Cats – creating catnips for cats looking for a home.
Other Voluntary opportunities you can explore are:
- Meals on Wheels(All ages)
- Lower Columbia Estuary Partnership(All ages)
- Portland Parks & Recreation Stewardship Opportunities(Various ages)
- Tryon Creek Park(Roughly ages 6+)
- Oregon Food Bank (Ages 6)
- Store to Door(All ages)
- Forest Park Conservancy(Roughly ages 8+)
- Friends of Trees(All ages)
- Johnson Creek Watershed Council(All ages)